Wednesday, November 17, 2010

In which I am freaked out by the turmeric...


OK so I know fresh turmeric is the hot topic this week and you are probably all wondering what I'm doing with mine (or not because you actually have lives!).  Honestly I'm a little frightened and I've been avoiding it - every time I walk past the fridge it calls out like some kind of Poe like heart beating under the floor boards.  Thankfully Kristen's post demystified it all a little for me but the curry recipe pushed me to the precipice of my cooking comfort zone (you are about as likely to see fenugreek seeds in my kitchen as you are to spot a snow leopard in the wild).

So in the spirit of avoidance, today I post for you a recipe that uses some of the more commonplace veg in your box around this time of year - asparagus and spinach.

I've heavily adapted (and vegetarianised) this recipe from one I found here.

Asparagus Tart
  • 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
  • 1 egg, beaten to blend
  • 450g slender asparagus spears, trimmed
  • 1/2 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
  • 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 bunch spinach (about 200g)
  • 1 onion
  • 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese 
Preheat oven to 200°C. Cut off 1/2-inch-wide strip from all 4 sides of the pastry sheets. Brush strips on 1 side with some of beaten egg, then press strips, egg side down, onto edges of pastry to adhere, forming raised border. Brush border with egg; reserve remaining beaten egg. Transfer to baking sheet. Chill while preparing filling.
Saute onion.  Add spinach and stir until wilted.  Set aside.
Steam asparagus just until crisp tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl of ice water to cool. Drain. Cut off top 2 to 3 inches of asparagus tops; set aside. Coarsely puree remaining asparagus stalks in processor. Add remaining beaten egg, ricotta, 3 teaspoons oil, and salt;process until thick puree forms. Transfer to bowl; stir in spinach and onion and 1/3 cup parmesan cheese; season with pepper. Spread mixture evenly over pastry. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup parmesan cheese. Toss asparagus tips with remaining 1 teaspoon oil; arrange tips over filling.
Bake tart until filling is set, about 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I promise to post again when I finally take up the turmeric gauntlet.

xx Susan (you can find me more regularly over here)

P.S. Don't forget to subscribe to the blog if you'd like to have these posts sent directly to your email

1 comment:

  1. Come on Susan, put the gloves on and grate that little sucker of turmeric! LOL!! Kris :)

    ReplyDelete