Monday, September 10, 2012

Quinoa with fennel and anchovies

I love a hot lunch. Even when I am home alone, I will make up a vegie pasta and then indulge myself in a solo meal (sometimes getting to catch up on a novel). So one weekends, when we are all at home, hot lunches are pretty much obligatory.

Today, being Sunday (read: day before vegie box arrives) we are in 'using up bits' mode. I still had some fennel left over from last week and half a zucchini, so decided to make a fennel and anchovy one pot wonder to feed the hungry family. If you'd like a vegetarian option, just substitute the anchovies for a few black olives (I might throw some of those in too!).

To feed 3 people (two big, one little) I used:
1 small onion, diced (I had half a medium sized one left from something else)
2 cloves of garlic
I bulb of fennel (chopped), bulb and leaves
half a zucchini, chopped into small pieces.
6 salted anchovy fillets (to taste)

Sautee the onion, garlic, fennel bulb and anchovies for about 10 mins or until soft. Add 1 cup of quinoa* and 2 cups of water or stock. Bring to the boil and cook for about 10 mins. Stir in the chopped fennel leaves and season with pepper (there should be enough salt from the anchovies or olives). Cook for a few more minutes until the quinoa is ready.

Enjoy!

Note: I like a large proportion of vegies to my grains, but you can play around with amounts to suit your taste.

*Quinoa is a gluten-free grain that can be substituted for rice. It's available in the health food section of most supermarkets.

Posted by Lien

No comments:

Post a Comment